Thursday, June 16, 2011

Run away as fast as you can

So, I'm currently working on planning a getaway...well, two actually. It started with a random thought that my best friend, Niki, and I had never gone away anywhere together. Sure, we shopped, danced, ate, laughed our faces off but have never travelled anywhere together. So I thought it was WAAAYYY overdue...plus we've been friends for over 14 years and we ain't getting any younger! But where? I had considered a wild weekend in Vegas, but neither of us are gamblers and honestly, I don't think I can afford to do anything while we would be there and then, how much fun would that really be? A balmy beautiful island? Hmm...again, cost cost cost...and she was turning 40 this year but her birthday is in December and 5 days before Christmas so trying to do something major would be almost impossible. But something in the summer? Way easier...
Then I was driving home one day and "Boys of Summer" by Don Henley came on...talk about a perfect summer song. "And i can see you, your brown skin shining in the sun, you got your hair combed back, sunglasses on baby..." And I thought of all those lazy days at the beach growing up (I'm a beach baby from NB) and how the sun warms your skin, the smell of the fresh salty air and nothing to stress about. Bingo! We needed a beach...but landlocked in Ontario, REAL beaches (with SALT WATER) are non-existent...so I needed the next best thing. All the ambiance with fresh water. Here were the choices (that I knew of) Wasaga Beach and Sauble Beach. I had been to both and felt like Wasaga was more of a party beach/town...a la Jersey Shore and god knows I am NOT Snooki...though I AM pretty klutzy! Sauble was more lazy, family orientated, which truthfully is how we are now...lazy and family-like! So I asked Niki and we decided to look into renting a cottage up in Sauble...after much research, it was either spend a ton for something half-way decent or spend less and sleep in borderline ghetto place...hmmm...Then I thought of Crystal Beach. I always forget about that area because it's A) Lake Erie and B)Not in "official" cottage country. But it's just as warm and sunny, plenty of beach and would give us the same experience...maybe even for less. And, bonus? It's less than an hour away! BIG difference than Sauble (at least 2-3 hours through backroad country) or Wasaga (3-4 hours through major highways and everyone else in the frigging province going away!) so Crystal was looking better and better. Also, as I was planning our girls only weekend getaway, I thought "Man, my hubby and I could really use a romantic, us-only getaway too!" And our anniversary is in August too...so we could have a REAL anniversary (other than the traditional dinner and movie). So I thought maybe we could do two separate weekends and space them out. One problem...they don't take partial weeks in the summer months. Damn! So I thought what if I book the cottage, my hubby comes for part of the week and Niki comes for the other half? Unfortunately, I can take time off at the beginning of the month because of being in production the second half of the month, so I had to plan it ASAP. I get the best of both worlds and a total week of vegging and sun. The only downside is I'm away from my cute little angel for a whole week, but I even have a plan for that. My parents, who will watch her while my hubby is there with me, will also be celebrating their anniversary on the same date as us, so they will come down on the second last day my hubby is there to spend a day with us at the cottage/beach and then they will leave and my hubby and I keep Abby for the night and my hubby brings her home the following day, when Niki arrives later on. Ooh, now I just have to wait another month before I get to lay on a beach and take in the sunshine and warm weather in my bikini and...wait, crap...I gotta get in shape!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment