Thursday, March 22, 2012

The look of Mommy!

I've come to the conclusion that since having Abby, I now know what the "look" of a mom really is. Let me break it down...and I know not ALL moms go through this but here's how I'VE changed since having my baby two and a half years ago.
1. The ponytail holder on the wrist. In case I need to whip my hair into a ponytail. To be fair, I've been doing this for years, but chasing around my toddler, my thick hair gets hot on my neck very quickly so I need something to whip it up at a moment's notice. And when I do it, it does NOT look like the celebrity moms who also rock this look.
2. Mysterious stains on clothing at any given time. First it was spit up, then formula, then anything my daughter was eating. Then, she got involved in the eating process. Now I don't get spit up on...I get handled. Nothing worse than a sticky toddler's fingers! Oy!
3. Bruises everywhere. I've always been klutzy, I know this. But when I look down at my knees, I always have a bruise. Whether I'm walking into child-sized furniture or my kid is walking into me, I'm a maze of bruises. Not to mention how many times I get hit in the back, elbow or side while trying to rush out the door in the morning.
4. No makeup. I've never been a makeup addict (except for the 80's, which I'm NOT apologizing for!) but now I can spend days without makeup. I don't always do it intentionally, but once I realize I'm makeup free, I try not to make contact with mirrors. Out and about is one thing. Out and about and realizing you look like a "before" shot of a makeover is another.
5. Sturdy necklaces ONLY. I used to wear all kinds of necklaces. Long, short, beaded, chains. But now, because of curious fingers and possible breakage, I stick to my chunky "sturdy" necklaces that don't break. I also make sure I never wear bracelets or big dangly earrings. I've seen beads explode into a tiny pinging mess on the floor and have no desire to have an earring ripped out of my lobe. I dress for survival now!
6. Flats or sneakers. I always wonder how celebrities can chase their kids in stilettos or those ridiculous platforms. Oh, wait...they have NANNIES...who are obviously going to be in sneakers. Maybe THIS is why I'm not famous...hmmm...well, I live in sneakers or flats. Ok, I usually have before but sturdy shoes and sturdy jewelry are essential!
7. Pants at all times! I do wear skirts to work and even dresses. But when I know I'm going to be hanging out with my kid, it's pants, jeans or shorts ALL the time. I can just visualize her yanking down my skirt by accident, or pulling it up or me trying to pick her up and giving everyone a show. But by wearing jeans and pants, I can easily chase her, bend over and sit down on the floor when she's having a meltdown.
8. Layers. I'm a layer girl but now my weekend look is usually a tank top, t-shirt and hoodie. When I get hot, running around, bending over, I can take off the hoodie easily. If I'm cold, zip it up. Even in the winter, I do this look.
9. Tucking a tank into EVERYTHING. I love my layers but I HATE back drafts. Bending over, I get that little sliver of space between my top and bottom and it drives me nuts. So I now have tank tops in 300 colours and you will 95% of the time see one tucked into my jeans or pants or shorts. Besides, when you decide to sit on the floor with your kid and your husband starts to tell you what underwear you are wearing, at least having that tank top to cover it up means not EVERYONE will know what undies you are wearing.
10. Diaper bag as purse. During the week, I'm all purse. On the weekends, I usually toss it on the counter, grab my wallet and other essentials and toss them into her small diaper bag. I know, hot huh? But I can get her diapers, a change of clothes (for her, not me...unfortunately), wipes, my wallet, snacks and a sippy cup all in there and plus, I can put it down and not worry. Who's going to steal a worn out diaper bag? It's not new, designer or slightly cool. It's faded green, old and tired. Perfect!
So there you have it, my Mommy style secrets. I haven't changed much. But I have been trying a little on the weekends when I have a few minutes to myself. I have perfected the little front pouf and pony so I look like I did something other than roll out of bed and threw my hair into an elastic. (This requires a little hairspray, two bobby pins and my ponytail holder...even gimpy hair me can't mess THAT up!) and I have this powder foundation that covers up all my pimples and blotches and a little bronzer and eyeliner and I look like a cute mom instead of sleep deprived and wanting a siesta!

No comments:

Post a Comment